- This event has passed.
Norm Gage / Kenny Reed Quintet
August 5, 2016 @ 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm EDT$10
About trumpeter Kenny Reed:
- Lived in Washington, DC; fixture on the jazz scene for 30 years there
- Played with Shirley Horn, Buck Hill and other top DC jazz performers
- Recorded his own CD with DC’s best
- Recorded with vocalist Ronnie Wells, Played Blues Alley in DC and The Iridium in NYC
- Appears on tenor saxophone great, Clifford Jordan’s last CD
- Returned to CT in 2004
About saxophonist Norman Gage:
- Long time contributor to Hartford jazz scene
- Led his own 13 piece jazz band in the 80’s – a pure jazz band with all original arrangements
- Was pit orchestra for the CT Commission on the Arts Awards ceremonies in 1981 and 1982 shown on CPTV
- Other venues include Paul Brown’s Monday Night Bushnell Park Series
- Numerous outdoor concerts throughout Hartford that the HJS sponsored
- Guest NY musicians who appeared with this band include Bill Hardman, Junior Cook, Kenny Barron, Bill Barron, Ray Copeland, Tom Chapin, Charlie Persip, Archie Schepp, Marion Brown and Paul Jeffreys.
Kent Hewitt – Piano
Matt Dwyonszk – bass
Jay Williams – drums
This current quintet does or has include pianists Warren Byrd, Kent Hewitt, Mary Davis, Earl MacDonald, Jen Allen and Taber Gable; bassists Dezron Douglas, Dave Santoro, Paul Brown, Seth Lewis, Phil Bowler, Alex Tremblay, Matt Dwonzek and Brian Jenkins; and drummers Jay Williams and Ben Belillo.