- This event has passed.
Hearing Voices Network
October 24, 2016 @ 10:30 am - 11:30 am EDT
A program originally begun at Gilead Community Services, HVN is an opportunity for folks to come together to discuss their personal stories and talk with peers in a safe, friendly, accepting space.
The Hearing Voices Network (HVN) USA is one of over 20 nationally-based networks around the world joined by shared goals and values, incorporating a fundamental belief that there are many ways to understand the experience of hearing voices and other unusual or extreme experiences. It is part of an international collaboration between professionals, people with lived experience, and their families to develop an alternative approach to coping with emotional distress that is empowering and useful to people, and does not start from the assumption that they have a chronic illness.
Goals of the Hearing Voices Network USA Include:
- Raising awareness about voice hearing, visions and other unusual or extreme experiences
- Supporting anyone who has had these experiences by providing opportunities to talk about them freely and without judgment amongst peers
- Supporting anyone who has had these experiences to explore, understand, learn and grow from them in their own way
- Supporting individuals providing treatment, family, friends and the general community to broaden their understanding and ability to support individuals who have had these experiences
Our Work Includes:
- Promoting and supporting the development of HVN support groups in accordance with the HVN-USA Charter
- Providing training for providers, family, friends and the general public on the HVN approach and the experience of hearing voices and other unusual or extreme experiences
- Providing training for individuals interested in becoming HVN group facilitators and starting new groups
- Supporting HVN group facilitators to network and support one another
- Promoting access to information and resources about hearing voices and related topics
Begin Your Own Journey Toward Learning More By:
- Exploring our website and the others listed in the links section
- Finding a HVN group or training in your area
- Signing up for the HVN-USA e-mail updates list